We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
How to make Sicilian cannoli: original recipe and quick variant to prepare the real Sicilian cannoli at home. Recipe with thermomix or by hand.
Together with the cassata, i Sicilian cannoli they are a classic of Sicilian pastry appreciated throughout Italy. Their name derives from the river reeds that long ago were used to create the characteristic shape suitable for cooking the wafer. Today, instead of river reeds, metal cylinders are used, ad hoc molds, easily available in confectionery shops or online.
For the sake of completeness, I would like to point out six cylinders for making Sicilian cannoli at home, offered on Amazon at a price of 9.60 euros with free shipping costs. For all the info: steel cylinders.
Homemade Sicilian cannoli
The preparation of the Sicilian cannoli it does not require special culinary skills, the only recommendation is to stuff them a few minutes before serving, in order to prevent the ricotta from making the waffle too moist and consequently losing its friability.
If for personal needs it is not possible to fill them when serving, you can remedy by brushing the inside of the wafer with melted chocolate: in this way the chocolate will act as an insulator.
Sicilian cannoli baked or fried
As is well known, the cooking method used for the preparation of the cannolo wafer is frying, however, those who want to avoid the use of oil can fall back on cooking in the oven: just cook the wafers, in a ventilated and preheated oven, 180 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Let's see in detail how to make Sicilian cannoli following our step by step recipe.
Original recipe of Sicilian cannoli
Here are the ingredients provided for the traditional recipe of homemade Sicilian cannoli.
- 150 grams of flour type "00" or other soft wheat flour
- 500 grams of fresh sheep ricotta or cow's milk ricotta
- 20 grams of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of Marsala
- Chopped dark chocolate
- 250 g of sugar
- 20 grams of butter at room temperature *
- 500 ml of seed oil for frying *
- Powdered sugar
- 1 organic egg
To make the recipe even more typical, we recommend the use of artisanal and homemade ingredients.
Fresh ricotta can also be prepared at home from fresh milk obtained from a pasture of organically reared sheep. For further information, we refer you to reading the recipe of the Fresh homemade ricotta. The procedure is the same, you only have to replace cow's milk with sheep's milk. In eastern Sicily, cannoli are prepared with cow's milk ricotta while in western Sicily sheep's milk is used. Sheep ricotta has a stronger flavor while that of cow's milk is more delicate.
In place of butter and seed oil for frying the wafer, the original recipe for Sicilian cannoli involves the use of lard.
How to prepare the dough for the Sicilian cannoli waffles
- Pour the flour into a very large bowl
- Make a central hole with your fingers and pour in the butter
- Add the egg, cocoa and Marsala
- Knead with the help of your hands until the dough is elastic, workable, but not too soft
- Let it rest in the fridge for 2 hours
C.how to make the filling of Sicilian cannoli
In reality, there is no singleoriginal recipefor the filling. The most common one involves the use of dark chocolate chips, however, they do existSicilian cannoliwith ricotta cream enriched with candied fruit or chopped pistachios.
As an alternative to chocolate chips, consider the use of chopped pistachios which gives the typical Sicilian dessert a greater rusticity. Here's how thestuffed with Sicilian cannoli.
- Pass the ricotta in a sieve to refine it and make it more creamy.
- Add the sugar and mix to mix the two ingredients well
- Add the finely chopped chocolate.
How to make Sicilian cannoli
- After two hours, remove the dough from the fridge.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until you get a thin sheet. If necessary, use flour to prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
- Cut out squares with a knife.
- Wrap the squares on the cylinders, pressing the joints well.
- Heat the seed oil in a large pan.
- Fry the waffles with the forms inserted, turning from time to time until cooking is complete.
- As soon as they are golden brown, remove them from the oil and lay them on absorbent paper so that they lose excess oil.
- Remove the molds from the wafers and fill them with the ricotta cream prepared previously.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Yours are ready Sicilian cannoli.
THE Sicilian cannoli they must be filled just before being consumed, this is because, over time, the moisture in the ricotta is absorbed by waffle making it lose its original crunchiness.
To overcome this inconvenience and stuff theSicilian cannoli, you can coat the inside of the cannolo wafer with melted chocolate. In this way the wrapper is "waterproofed" thanks to the layer of chocolate.
Sicilian cannolo, recipe with Thermomix
Anyone looking for aeasy recipe of Sicilian cannolican point to preparation withThermomix. THESicilian cannoli with Thermomixthey are simple to prepare because the preparation times of the waffles are shortened.
Here she isrecipe of Sicilian cannoli with ThermomixTM31 and TM5 model. Here are the ingredients to prepare the waffles for 20 cannoli.
- 150 g of soft wheat flour, 00 flour
- 80 g of red wine (Marsala or Porto)
- 10 g of lard (or butter)
- 10 g of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
For the stuffing:
- 700 grams of sheep's milk ricotta (or cow's milk ricotta for a more delicate version on the palate)
- 30 grams of sugar
- 70 grams of chocolate chips
- Pistachios q.s.
- Peanut oil to taste
- Powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
Here's how to prepare theSicilian cannoli with thermomix with our quick and easy recipe. Yes, quick why prepare theSicilian cannoli with thermomixit only takes a few minutes, you will have to wait 30 minutes for the dough to set.
- Put 150 grams of 00 flour, 80 g of red wine (or Marsala), 10 grams of lard (or butter), 10 grams of sugar and a pinch of salt in the Thermomix mug.
- Run at speed 6 for 30 seconds.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest in the upper part of the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, roll out the dough on the table and obtain a 1 mm thin sheet.
- Cut the dough with a 9 cm diameter pastry cutter and wrap it around the aluminum or steel cylinders. Weld the two flaps.
- The waffles are cooked in plenty of peanut oil (or lard) and left to drain on absorbent paper.
Now prepare the filling for the cannoli.
Add 700 grams of sheep's milk ricotta, 30 grams of sugar, 70 grams of chocolate cocce. Go with speed 3 for 50 seconds.
Stuff the cannoli just before serving.